Sunday 11 September 2011

Opinion: '8 hours sleep is the best amount to have' - About

I have always been told having 8 hours of sleep a night means you feel at your best in the morning. Since being told this, from a young age, I have always scheduled my bed routine to make sure I get the right amount of sleep.  I think this works best for me as I have stuck to this routine for years. I'm not sure if its medically proven so I wanted to do a little research to find out. I want to look into other people's opinions too, as I believe its massively dependant on your age and lifestyle.



HOW MUCH SLEEP DO YOU NEED?

While sleep requirements vary by individual, the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke reports that most adults need seven to eight hours a night. Though, some people may need as few as 5 hours per night and others may need up to nine or ten hours of sleep each day for proper functioning.

Sleep Requirements by Age


Newborns (0-2 months old)12-18 hours
Infants (3-11 months old)14-15 Hours
Toddlers (1-3 years old)l12-14 Hours
Pre-schoolers (3-5 years old)11-13 Hours
School-aged Children (5-10 years old)10-11 Hours
Teens (11-17 years old)8-9 Hours
Adults7-9 Hours

Studies show that people who get the appropriate amount of sleep on a regular basis tend to live longer, healthier lives than those who sleep too few or even too many hours each night. This underscores the importance of making sleep a top priority.

No comments:

Post a Comment