Saturday 20 August 2011

Place: Northumberland - About

Northumberland is Britains most Northern County. Being on the border of England and Scotland, Northumberland has been the site of many battles. The county is noted for its undeveloped landscape of high moorland, a favourite with landscape painters, and now largely protected as a National Park. Northumberland is the most sparsely populated county in England, with only 62 people per square kilometre.


I decided to focus on this place due to my personal relationship with it, and with so many members of my family still living there I can get hold of much primary and secondary research. Especially as I intend to visit soon and visit places within the county.


I have such a love for Northumberland, parcially because I grew up in the region but also due to the memories I have of it. It's beautiful sandy beaches, once becoming a location for me to have a birthday party as a child, It's rolling hills and farmland. There's so much countryside and wildlife, which is rare to see nowadays with big cities taking over.


Northumberland doesn't have a city, which may have something to do with it being able to keep such a mass of land free from building. With it now being protected as part of the national park, this won't be happening any time soon either!


There's many locations I could think within the county which I would love to research and visit again. So with this eagerness, I feel I can really enjoy this researching process and hopefully get a huge grasp of knowledge about the place.

No comments:

Post a Comment