Tuesday 16 August 2011

Opinion: 'Ginger is the new blonde'

Reasons I think 'Ginger is the new blonde':


- It's different
- It's not cliche'
- It's interesting
- It's far less common
- It's fashionable
- It's no longer a burden to be ginger
- More and more people choose to dye their hair ginger, me included!
- Strawberry blonde is now ginger.
- The more orange the better


.....


Facts about 'Ginger is the new blonde':


- You wouldn't think it but ginger goes with everything!
- It makes an outfit that bit more interesting
- It's individual
- There is now a wider range of hair dye due to popular demand (I would know)
- It makes you stand out in pictures
- A lot of famous folk are becoming positive role models when it comes to red hair, Blake lively 
- Red hair occurs on approximately 1–2% of the human population
It occurs more frequently (2–6%) in people of northern or western European ancestry, and less frequently in other populations. Red hair appears in people with two copies of a recessive gene on chromosome 16 which causes a mutation in the MC1R protein
Red hair varies from a deep burgundy through burnt orange to bright copper. It is characterized by high levels of the reddish pigment pheomelanin and relatively low levels of the dark pigment eumelanin. 
The term redhead (originally redd hede) has been in use since at least 1510. It is associated with fair skin color, lighter eye colors (gray, blue, green, and hazel), freckles, and sensitivity toultraviolet light.
Cultural reactions have varied from ridicule to admiration; many common stereotypes exist regarding redheads and they are often portrayed as fiery-tempered.
it is associated particularly with the people located in the United Kingdom and in Ireland
Scotland has the highest proportion of redheads; 13 per cent of the population has red hair and approximately 40 per cent carries the recessive redhead gene
In the United States, it is estimated that 2-6% of the population has red hair. This would give the U.S. the largest population of redheads in the world, at 6 to 18 million, compared to approximately 650,000 in Scotland and 420,000 in Ireland.
Red hair is the rarest natural hair color in humans. The pale skin associated with red hair may have been advantageous in far-northern climates where sunlight is scarce
Two studies have demonstrated that people with red hair have different sensitivity to pain compared to people with other hair colors. One study found that people with red hair are more sensitive to thermal pain (associated with naturally occurring low vitamin K levels), while another study concluded that redheads are less sensitive to pain from multiple modalities, including noxious stimuli such as electrically induced pain.
Researchers have found that people with red hair require greater amounts of anesthetic.
- Henna hair dye is becoming more popular, dying hair 'ginger' in a safer less toxic and damaging way.

.....


Words relating to 'Ginger is the new blonde':


- Henna
- Orange
- Vibrant
- Different
- Scottish
- Red head
- Dye
- Girls aloud
- Popular
- Pale skin
- Sunlight

.....


Opinions about 'Ginger is the new blonde':


“People tell me it’s unique and I’m getting a lot more work recently – maybe it’s because having red hair’s cool again,” 
“Without sounding big-headed, people often assume people with red hair are really unattractive.”
“When I was 18, I met a boy in a nightclub and we were getting on really well until we all walked outside at the end of the night and his friends saw my hair under the lights and pointed out I was ginger – that actually happened to me a few times."
“I wouldn’t act like that these days because I’m really proud of it"
“It had a real effect on me and before our first date I actually sent a text to my current boyfriend ‘warning’ him I was a red-head. Rachel Vaughan-Jones

“I recently did a show with L’Oreal and they told me they were actively looking for models with red hair because it was so striking.
“It’s as if it’s the end of blonde ambition and women are dying their hair red – my mum always told me that would happen one day!” - Rachael 



"When I was a blonde, guys treated me like a girl...a girly girl," Walsh told Women's Health back in 2006. "Then as a redhead, I was a little more sassy, maybe a little more boorish -- more how I am inside."

Deborah Ann Woll went red. "As a fair skinned blonde, I disappeared into the background. I've always been a loner, so I suppose dyeing my hair red was a way to say, 'I'm here, I exist, I'm a human being and you can't just push me aside,'" 

Christina Hendricks traded in her blonde hair long ago for Joan's signature color. "I was obsessed with Lucy [from I Love Lucy] and I was a huge Ginger fan, from Gilligan's Island," she admits. "I decided to dye my hair red because of Anne of Green Gables when I was ten."



.....


Images of 'Ginger is the new blonde':


Wilma Flintstone. Daphne from Scooby Doo. Jessica Rabbit. Lois Griffin in Family Guy. Arial in The Little Mermaid. Princess Fiona in Shrek. Nicola roberts


Blake Lively

It's even in the papers - Blondes going ginger



The natural Nicola Roberts embracing her red hair

Wilma

Daphne

Jessica Rabbit

Lois Griffin

The little Mermaid

Fiona 



No comments:

Post a Comment